Saturday, April 6, 2013

Recalling the Conversation ..

Following are the reminiscences of my interview at MICA on the 2nd of April, 2013... 


Here we go.. 

The GE was quick and fun! I took up the dancer act and embarrassed myself to the core  :D .. Trust me I have never danced before like I did in the GE..dumbest moves of my life :/ .. (MICA seriously made me do some weird stuff.. :’(  ) I drew some silly faces on the channel’s banner (I don’t know why :| ), our logo was a plate of Idli and Samosa.. Must be one of the best groups on that day !  It went well thanks to the hilarious news presenters each one of them did a great job! 

I waited for my PI till 4.30.. 
MY PANEL :  Vibrant Prof. (V), Falguni Ma’am (FM) and a South Indian Prof. (SI)

FM : You have worked with Lakme ..Name some brands of Lakme.
Me : Told them all.. ( went on and on when she stopped me)
FM : What idea does Lakme represent as a brand?
Me : All the gyaan about how Lakme has always represented the Beauty of Indian Women since Jawaharlal Nehru’s time..The brand loyalty etc.. ( I was interrupted)
FM : What are your views about the brands like Lakme and Fair & Lovely.. do you think they do the right job when they market their products? 
Me : Lakme has it's own way of Marketing the products..as long as it conveys the right message I'm fine with it.. But when it comes to Fair & Lovely, advertisements where they show a dark skinned girl failing in her career and her father commenting "Kaash mera beta hota", are all pointless and convey a wrong message..which I would say is not the right thing to do.. 
FM : After passing out from MICA, how much time do you think you will take to reach a level where you have the right to Approve or Reject such ideas? 
(Here she was asking me that how much time, in my opinion, I would take to become a brand manager..also she tested me whether I had an idea about the profession or not..  I had mentioned BM in my SOP..)
Me : Thought for a second or two and I said : Around 4-5 years max.. (Just a guess!) 
FM : Oh no no.. BM ke baad 2 saal sales me lag jaate hain..then they make you a trainee BM then a Junior BM ..then a Asst. BM .. DASS SAAL lag jaate hain!! 
Me : (I knew it does not take 10 years! but anyways :D ) ... I don't know if it takes 10 years.. But In my opinion ma'am if I perform excellently and work hard, it won't take me much time to become a Brand Manager :D
V and SI gave FM an evil smile and FM gave me an assuring smile saying "Yes Yes.. :) "
V : Tell us how did you manage the Salon Business given that it is difficult to manage a franchisee and a company-run business where there wasn't any manager.
 Me : :o How do you know there wasn't any manager?! :D .. (He smiled like a smart man.. )  Told.. (Interrupted)
V : What problems did you face from the franchisee.
Me: Explained them how I was sandwiched between the ABM and the Franchisee at first..And took that as an opportunity to explain about the wrong practices that were going on in the billing system and how it affected me.. In short I faced a corruption issue at work where the ABM was bribed by the franchisee..And explained it to them why I decided to quit after fighting it for a long time..
All three smiled and FM : That was a solid reason you quit your job.. Very good..
SI : Do you think after all this you have made your contribution towards the burning issue of corruption and succeeded?
Me: Told him that I was not successful because the practice did not stop.. but yes I tried my best to fight it..
All of them smiled convincingly ..
FM : Did you try to send mails about the issue now that you have quit your job.
ME: Yes I did mail the ABM’s boss.. But did not get any reply from him.
V : Tell us about how you handled conflicts at your work place because I don’t think you would shout at your employees (I smiled at him – my first dislike was ‘thrashing or beating children as a punishment :D ’)
Me: Told them everything.. How I would make sure it does not affect the atmosphere and let them cool down and later try to reason with them. Since there is always an answer to a ‘why’ . . . . .(interrupted) 
V : (smiling from ear to ear) Oh do you believe in this? Or I thought you believed in ‘there is always an answer to a Why to that answer ’ :D
Me : Smiled at him and said that is true because it is the same  :D
FM : (Suddenly out of nowhere) Who is Chanda Kochhar ?
 Me: (Quickly) ICICI Bank , CEO :o
FM : She represents Women Empowerment right.. ? That is what you wanted to say .
Me : She does represent Women Empowerment.. But I was not going to answer that.. It is just that I have faced this question so many times in the ‘GK Mode’ that ICICI & CEO are the first two words in my head :D   
V: Haha ! alright continue with the why thing..
Me: Continued my explanations..
FM: (Again!) Do you think I’m fat? (And she was actually Fat!)
Me: Yes Ma’am you are fat. (Oh my god! :o what did I just do! Too much of honesty.. :/ )
I blabbered after both of her quick questions.. All of them laughed like anything :/
FM(with her sweet smiling face.. AGAIN!) Okay which was the last movie you watched? Quick!
Me: I don’t watch too many movies but I can remember Barfi (Damn I could not recall which one was the last.. :/ I guess it was special 26.. But anyways)
FM : How did they market it ?
Me: They had a unique way of using a tagline to market the movie..
FM: Tell us about a Barfi Moment in your life.
Me: took 2 to 3 seconds to think..When she interrupted
FM: No leave it… tell me what was the line
ME: Don’t worry Be Barfi
FM: Do you like it?
ME: Yes ma’am it is simple yet effective..
FM:  which ad agency came up with the line?
ME: It wasn’t any ad agency ma’am .. 3 students from MICA came up with that line :D :D
All three of them >  Ahaan Ahaan :D :D
V and FM : why do you look so submissive or nervous .. All your answers are correct! You even called her fat! :D ….  Why the blabber /nervous wala chehra ? Aram se confidently answer karo.. Have some water.. 
Me: No thanks ..but (interrupted) 
FM : Are you the protected kid? Do you have an elder brother? Has your father accompanied you here?
ME:  (Aing!?! .. :o ) No Ma’am.. I travelled here alone and I have an elder brother but I don’t think that I’m protected..and Well yes, I am a bit nervous just because this is a very important interview to me and I have been waiting for it since long.. Nothing else.. (I don’t know why I was giggling after that :| )
V: I know ..It is very important (and they all gave me a humble smile)
FM :  Okay tell us about your Father’s business
Me: told..
FM: what is the difference between the business you ran and what your father runs?
ME: my father runs a B2B business and mine is B2C.. (:o oh did I just say the exact opposite oh ..No no I’m right :D :D )
FM: Again that face :D Is B2B a cuss word or something?!?  :D
Me: No Ma’am, for a moment I felt that I answered the exact opposite :D
V:  kuch samjhe nahi toh puch Lena Ma’am ko :D
Me: Sure sir :D
SI : How would you become a leader?
Me: Sir I would lead by example.. (He interrupted me .. )
SI: okay if you say lead by example.. Tell us the difference between a Manager and a Leader..
Me : I told them that long back my father had explained the same thing to me using an example.. which I would like to use now because that, in my opinion, explains the difference best! .. (All the three smiled and nodded)
I used the example of Lord Ram and Lord Krishna to explain the difference.. about how Lord Krishna did not fight the battle instead he advised Arjun all the time.. It was a fight within the family which he had to manage etc blah blah..So he was a good manager..   And how Lord Ram himself led the battle.. How he handed the right job to the right people.. like Monkeys etc.. How he himself fought the battle from the front and led by example.. Hence he was the leader..
All of them looked impressed .. 
SI : That is one of the finest examples we have heard to explain the difference ..Very good.. Now tell us do you think there was any gender inequality in these two stories.. Mahabharata and Ramayana..if you have read them well.. 
ME: I went blank for a moment and said.. Draupadi was saved by lord Krishna so there wasn't any gender inequality there.. In the Ramayana.. (I had to think here FM interrupted..)
FM : What was Sita asked to perform ?
ME: Oh yes the Agni Pariksha :D Yeah there was gender inequality here.. ( This was horrible, I should've remembered this :( )
V: Hum darawne dikh rahe hain ? :D :D
Me: No sir ..I’m sorry I went blank for a moment :D
V: Good girl you just speak your mind don’t you :D
ME: Most of the times ..Yes..  :D not always
V: Okay I have a question for you.. When they choose the Queen of England or if a girl marries the prince they are asked to pass the Virginity test.. What would you do if you are in that situation..
Me: (Okay I was totally not expecting this :D :D and this is where I got trapped finally.. blabbering in between the lines.. ) Sir it would be unfair to the girl ..Inequality blah blah.. What's the point of marrying if the family doesn't trust you..blah blah If at all they force the test I would only succumb if the guy was asked to do the same test :| to make it equal :D (WHAT CRAP AM I TALKING!) and they started bombarding me with silly questions like -would you leave your life partner for this and why this why that.. (Just tried to make me uncomfortable.. )
Instead of being uncomfortable.. Here.. I was confused while answering them..All three of them would ask some or the other question at the same time and I was busy trying to grasp each of their words to understand who was saying what! They kept asking a  ‘Why’  to everything :D  testing my own line (There is always an answer to ‘why’ ) where I did answer them.. But they did not stop :D in the end I was almost laughing at myself and all the three were enjoying the fact that this time they were successful in troubling me :D  I tried my best to maintain my calm all the time by smiling and laughing throughout the conversation.. 

That’s it they said..Thank you.. Do you have any questions for us.. I asked one, FM answered and we discussed a little bit..  
I thanked them and left! 


I was Shortlisted  :) and the Wait continues till the 15th of April..
A memorable experience ..Will be cherished for life ! :)

17 comments:

  1. Aey shabaash..!!! :D
    Idhar padh ke hi I am smiling "ear to ear" as you say.. Well done, ladki..!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Thank you re! You guys se inspired hoke I decided to make some good use of this blog :D Although I suck at writing :P This was worth a try :D

      Delete
  2. wow...that was a superb interview... difference between leader and manager was out of this world :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks ! :) I had the same question to my father years back.. and he had explained it to me using the same example :D Credit goes to my PAPA! I wish I was that smart :P

      Delete
  3. Awesome pi you had .. They love getting us out of our comfort zone .. You handled it well.. Lets wait for 15th.. Bye the way you sure its 15th april ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously they try their best to make us uncomfortable.. I succumbed in the end :D
    Yeah I'm sure it is 15th.. Everyone has been talking about it since then..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aditi great job, trust me on 15th u will get confirmation mail , and ya I don't know about that difference between manager and leader:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Fingers crossed and like a friend told me.. Upar waale pe chhod do !
      yeah the difference .. hope it makes some difference :P

      Delete
  6. That was an excellent interview Aditi :) Finally you did use some of your wit and humor we talked about! Good girl :) You will make it. 300% sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Prady thanks :D Yeah..I had decided not to give the cartoon network reactions to them.. And the nervousness took a toll on my answering abilities.. :D
      I just hope all of this ends on a good note! ^_^

      Delete
  7. Dude, trust me, you've made it. You'll be my senior next year. Accept my congratulations. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa! saare ke saare sur mila rahe ho :P Sab ke muh me chocolates and mithais :P

      ...Patience patience .. :) Picchurr abhi baaki hai :D

      Delete
  8. This was one of the best interview experience i have ever read.!!! simply amazing..and the way u handled their questions...it was worth commendable and the difference wala example..that out of this world.!! :D now i'm cent percent sure, u'll be through.!! :D a huge partyyy awaits me :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously feel like a Chana on a Chane ka Jhaad :D Thank you ..and Hope for the best!
      After all, Everything happens for good!

      Delete
  9. that was one really cool interview! Good job, Aditi... hope you make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mehleka! You were in the ML too right? Hope we all make it!! :)

      Delete
  10. Whoa, that was a fun interview it seems. Hope you made it!

    ReplyDelete